Ever since I’ve been living in France I’ve noticed that a lot of people see going to the Dr as second nature…. I do my best to stay away from the Dr’s by eating well and staying healthy. I’ve lived here for over 10 years and I’ve been to the Dr’s once in that time and I’m an asthmatic. Here are my top ten tips on how to stay away from the surgery.
- Quit smoking….. It’s not funny, it’s not clever and definitely not sexy!
- Chia seeds – A health boosting power house. Fibre, omega 3, potassium, protein, calcium, iron, antioxidants…. The list goes on. Stir it in to your oats, yogurt or salad.
- Broccoli – I eat this loads, stalk, leaves and all! Broccoli is arguably one of the most nutritious foods you can eat. It contains two compounds – indole-3-carbinol and diindolylmethane – with powerful anti-cancer capabilities, especially effective against breast, prostate and ovarian cancers.
- Garlic – A natural antiseptic
- Turmeric – Inhibits the growth of cancer cells and a potent anti-inflammatory
- Rosemary – migraines, pain relief, hair growth (having trouble with this one), asthma, mood elevator, digestive health…. I could go on and on.
- Oily fish – I can’t get enough of this stuff, not only is it a lean source of protein but most oily fish such as salmon, trout, mackerel, sardines and fresh tuna contain protein, zinc, selenium, vitamins A and D, and some B vitamins.
- Chillies – It would be wrong to leave these out as I eat chillies with almost every meal, but I know thats down to my heritage. Chillies lower blood sugar levels, lowers risk of stomach cancer, they’re a natural relaxant (probably why they move so slow in the Caribbean lol), boosts circulation and aids heart health.
- Basically what I’m saying here is eat a wide and varied diet of natural unprocessedÂ foods. Step out of your normal routine and try some thing different.
10. Exercise!!!! You all now this! Move your butt on a regular basis and always increase time, intensity or both over time. Easier said than done I know, but give it a whirl and stay out the surgery.